The warmth of spring usually inspires kids to come out of their homes and enjoy the great outdoors. Days are spent playing at the park, biking along breathtaking trails, taking cool dips in the pool or lake, and camping out underneath the stars. These activities can be tiring, and children will need to get their energy back up with snacks that are both delicious and healthy. Here are several wonderful recipes that will not only make them strong, but also give them the pep they need to play more.
Bubbly Berries and Grapefruit
Photo by anthimera via Flickr.com. CC BY-NC 2.0.
This delicious snack combines the classic soda fountain and good old fruit salad. Here’s what you need to make this refreshing delight:
- 1 25 ounce bottle of sparkling cider
- 1 pint fresh strawberries, halved
- 2 red grapefruits, seeded and sliced
- 1 pineapple, skinned and sliced
- Fresh mint leaves
- Crushed ice
1. Place a thin layer of crushed ice at the bottom of your bowls.
2. Layer the grapefruit, pineapple, and strawberry slices in each bowl.
3. Pour generous amounts of sparkling cider. Make sure it covers all of the fruits.
4. Add several mint leaves on top of the fruits. You can also add fresh milk if you want to give your version of the Bubble Berries and Grapefruit a dairy twist.
Apple and Cinnamon Popcorn
Photo by The Purple Foodie via Flickr.com. CC BY-NC-SA 2.0.
Appetizing and addictive, this is a healthy and sweet take on another classic American staple. The best thing about this recipe is that you can pack it in small brown paper bags or plastic containers for your kids to enjoy anywhere. Here’s what you need to make this tasty snack:
- 1 pack plain popcorn
- 25 grams unsalted butter, melted
- 1/3 cup dried apples, chopped into small pieces
- 1 teaspoon ground or powdered cinnamon
1. Cook the popcorn in a large saucepan or in the microwave. Once all the kernels have popped, pour popcorn into a large bowl.
2. Combine cinnamon and butter in a separate and larger bowl. Whisk the mixture for two minutes.
3. Pour popcorn and apple into the mixture. Toss repeatedly to make sure that the sauce coats each popped kernel.
Vegan Blueberry and Banana Muffins
Photo by Bookchen via Flickr.com. CC BY-NC-ND 2.0.
This vegan dish retains the flavors of the classic recipe. This is guaranteed to keep your kids running on full tank. Here’s the recipe for this delectable pastry:
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 to 1 1/2 teaspoons egg replacer, dry
- 2 very ripe bananas, mashed
- 1/2 cup blueberries
1. Preheat your oven to 175⁰ C. Take out your muffin cups and place your muffin liners into the mold.
2. In a large bowl, combine mashed bananas, all-purpose flour, whole wheat pastry flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Mix the ingredients until the batter is smooth.
3. In a separate bowl, combine water and egg replacer. Pour this blend into the banana mixture and add the blueberries. Mix the ingredients for a few minutes.
4. Spoon the batter evenly into the muffin mold.
5. Bake in preheated oven for 25 minutes or until golden brown.
Fill your kids’ tummies with these delicious spring treats.