Nothing says comfort food better than a mouthwatering grilled cheese sandwich. Filling tummies all around the world, this culinary classic is one of the best meals you can have after a long day at work or even during a stormy night. In celebration of National Grilled Cheese Day on April 12, we give you our favorite versions of this all-time wonder:
Barbecue Bacon Grilled Cheese Sandwich
This recipe combines three wonderful things everyone loves: grilled cheese, barbecue, and bacon. Here’s what you need to cook up this appetizing creation:
2 slices of bread
2 tablespoons of your favorite barbecue sauce
Sliced cheddar cheese
Shredded Monterey Jack cheese
5 slices of honey-cured bacon
1. Spread the barbecue sauce evenly on a piece of bread. Add your sliced cheddar, bacon, and Monterey Jack. Top it off with the other slice of bread.
2. Heat your skillet over medium fire. Once it’s hot enough, add your butter.
3. Place your sandwich on the skillet. Make sure it absorbs the butter. Cook for 5 minutes or until the cheese melts. Flip the sandwich and let it cook for another 4 minutes. Serve hot with a side of fries or potato chips.
Spinach and Artichoke Grilled Cheese Sandwich
Looking for a healthy and sophisticated take on this irresistible snack? Try the spinach and artichoke grilled cheese sandwich. Here’s what you need to make this delicious dish:
Sour cream or Greek yogurt
1/3 cup chopped artichoke hearts
1 cup grated cheese
4 slices of sourdough bread
1. Place your skillet over medium fire. Pour the olive oil. Once it’s warm enough, add the garlic and sauté for half a minute. Add the spinach and cook until wilted.
2. Stir in the artichokes and let them cook for several minutes. Remove the pan from the flame, let it cool for a few seconds, then add the sour cream.
3. Take out the bread. Sprinkle cheese on each slice. Add the artichoke and spinach mixture to each. Add more cheese if necessary. Put one slice on top of the other.
4. Heat up the skillet once more and melt the butter. Grill until the cheese completely melts. Serve with a side of greens. This dish is best paired with a glass of white wine.